My research areas include body weight and health in dogs with focus on metabolism, body condition and nutrition, as well as research focusing on the cardiovascular system in dogs and cats. Research topics also include diagnostic procedures including biomarkers, and genetics.
Teaches circulation, cardiology, renal physiology, acid-base balance and integrative physiology. Student groups include the programs for veterinary medicine, animal nursing, animal science, food science, biotechnology and ethics & animal welfare. Supervisor for degree projects at the veterinary program, approximately 20 final year degree papers and approximately 20 candidate exam papers in veterinary medicine. Examiner for courses, degree and candidate exam papers.
Price: Winner of the pedagogic prize for teachers from the Veterinary Student Association, VMF, 2011.
Normal variation in cardiovascular biomarkers in dogs and cats, such as effect of breed. Evaluation of biomarkers for diagnosis of heart disease in dogs and cats. Evaluation of laboratory tests as diagnostic methods in dogs and cats. Echocardiography in dogs. Blood pressure in dogs and cats. Pathophysiology of acquired heart diseases in dogs and cats. Genetic risk factors for heart disease. Association between genetic factors and physiologic variation in dogs. Body condition, body weight and metabolism in dogs, including metabolomics techniques. Influence of feed on metabolism, appetite control and gut microbiota in dogs.
Has received research grants as main or joint applicant from the following funders: The Swedish Research Council, Formas Research Council, European Union, Agria and SKKs (Swedish Kennel club) Research Foundation, Thure F and Karin Forsbergs Research Foundation, Michael Forsgrens Research Foundation, Djurskyddet Sverige, Stiftelsen för Svenska Kvinnors Djurskyddsförening, Svelands Research Foundation for Animal Health and Quality of Life, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Stiftelsen sällskapsdjurens forskningsfond, Jan Skogsborgs Research Foundation, Ceva Santé Animale.
Active participation in international congresses
Author and co-author of approximately 65 research abstracts. Invited speaker and presenter at approximately 20 international congresses. Moderator at several congresses, among others at the annual congresses of the European College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, ECVIM.
Academic committees & scientific evaluations
Member of The National Committee for Pharmacology, Physiology and Neurosciences, The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
Member of scrutinizing committees at SLU and Uppsala University.
Board member in European Society of Veterinary Cardiology, ESVC.
Reviewer of research applications for several research foundations. Evaluation of research abstracts for the European College of Veterinary Internal Medicines, ECVIMs, annual conference.
Reviewer of scientific manuscripts for the following international journals: Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Journal of Veterinary Cardiology, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, Journal of Small Animal Practice, Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, Current Medicinal Chemistry
Administrative assignments at SLU
- Deputy head of Department of Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry 2017-onwards
- Member of the postgraduate studies board (FUN) 2013-2016
- Member of Steering group for the Research school on Translational and Comparative Medicine, 2014-2015
- Member of evaluation group on the veterinary candidate course, 2014-2015
- Member of evaluation committee for veterinary program concerning first day skills, 2013-2015
- Member of implementer group for new veterinary program 2007
Interactions with society & continuing education
Organizes and performs continuing education for veterinarians within and outside Sweden. Lectures research results to the public. Presents research in articles in Svensk veterinärtidning, popular scientific articles in dog breed journals and web-based newsletters.
Interviewed in radio and TV concerning research results and health issues in dogs. Continuous collaboration with the Swedish kennel club, various dog breed associations and breed clubs.
Education & positions
2014 Associate professor in Clinical Physiology, Dept. Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry, SLU
2010 Senior lecturer in Physiology, Dept. Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry
2008-2009 Post-doc within the EU-project ‘LUPA- Unravelling the molecular basis of common complex human disorders using the dog as a model system’
2007 Lecturer in Physiology, Dept. Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry, SLU
2007 PhD in Veterinary Medicine, Physiology LÄNK TILL AVHANDLING
Dept. Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry, SLU
2000-2007 PhD-student, Dept. Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry, SLU
1995-1999 Equine clinician, Regional Animal Hospital, Helsingborg, Sweden, Small animal veterinarian Chase Veterinary Centre, St. Leonards-on-Sea, UK, District veterinarian, Karlshamn, Sweden
1995 Master of Science in Veterinary Medicine, SLU, Uppsala
Assistant supervisor for Ingrid Ljungvall who defended her thesis in 2011.
Assistant supervisor for PhD-students Josefin Söder, Sofia Hanås and Hanna Palmqvist and main supervisor for Linda Andersson
See all scientific articles at Google Scholar, Pubmed[KH1] or other publication site
1) Höglund K, Lequarré A-S, Ljungvall I, McEntee K, Merveille A-C, Wiberg M, Gouni V, Lundgren Willesen J, Hanås S, Wess G, Sørensen LM, Tiret L, Kierczak M, Forsberg S, Seppälä E, Koch J, Battaille G, Lindblad-Toh K, Lohi H, Chetboul V, Fredholm M, Häggström J. Effect of Breed on Plasma Endothelin-1 Concentration, Plasma Renin Activity, and Serum Cortisol Concentration in Healthy Dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2016 Jan 27. doi: 10.1111/jvim.13829. [Epub ahead of print]
2) Söder J, Wernersson S, Hagman R, Karlsson I, Malmlöf K, Höglund K. Metabolic and hormonal response to a feed-challenge test in lean and overweight dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2016 Jan 29. doi: 10.1111/jvim.13830. [Epub ahead of print]
3) Tidholm A, Ljungvall I, Michal J, Häggström J, Höglund K. Congenital heart defects in cats: A retrospective study of 162 cats (1996 - 2013). In press Journal of veterinary cardiology 2015
4) Forsberg S, Kierczak M, Ljungvall I, Merveille A-C, Gouni V, Wiberg M, Lundgren Willesen J, Hanås S, Lequarré A-S, Sørensen LM, Tiret L, McEntee K, Seppälä E, Koch J, Battaille G, Lohi H, Fredholm M, Chetboul V, Häggström J, Carlborg Ö, Lindblad-Toh K, Höglund K. The Shepherds’ tale: a genome-wide study across 9 dog breeds implicates two loci for regulation of fructosamine serum concentrations in Belgian Shepherds. PLoS ONE 2015; 10(5): e0123173. doi:10.1371/journal. pone.0123173
5) Sjöstrand K, Wess G, Ljungvall I, Häggström J, Merveille A-C, Wiberg M, Gouni V, Lundgren Willesen J, Hanås S, Lequarré A-S, Mejer Sørensen L, Wolf J, Tiret L, Kierczak M, Forsberg S, McEntee K, Battaille G, Seppälä E, Lindblad-Toh K, Georges M, Lohi H, Chetboul V, Fredholm M, Höglund K. Breed differences in natriuretic peptides in healthy dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2014; 28(2):451-7
6) Häggström J, Höglund K Ljungvall I. Genetic background of acquired cardiac disease in dogs. European Journal of Companion Animal Practice. Review. 2014; 23: 55-69
7) Carnabuci C, Hanås S, Ljungvall I, Tidholm A, Bussadori CM, Häggström J, Höglund K. Assessment of cardiac function using global and regional left ventricular endomyocardial and epimyocardial peak systolic strain and strain rate in healthy Labrador retriever dogs. Research in Veterinary Science 2013; 95:241-248
8) Höglund K, Hanås S, Carnabuci C, Ljungvall I, Tidholm A, Häggström J. Blood pressure, heart rate and urinary catecholamines in healthy dogs subjected to different clinical settings Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2012;26(6):1300–1308.
9) Ljungvall I, Höglund K, Carnabuci C, Tidholm A, Häggström J. Assessment of global and regional left ventricular volume and shape using real-time three-dimensional echocardiography in dogs with myxomatous mitral valve disease. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. 2011 Sep-Oct;25(5):1036-43.
10) Höglund K, Häggström J, Bussadori C, Kvart C. A prospective study of systolic ejection murmurs and the left ventricular outflow tract in boxers. Journal of Small Animal Practice 2011 Jan;52(1):11-7.