Since 1989 Malin has worked with teaching, research and project coordination at the Department of Urban and Rural Development (and its organisational predecessors); research in Vietnam and Thailand; and teaching and project coordination in Vietnam. Her main subject areas of interest are : Climate adaptation, natural resource management, rural livelihoods, disaster risk reduction, poverty reduction.
Malin teaches at the agronomy program - rural development with the Introduction course, courses in Natural Resource Management, Internships as well as BSc and MSc theses writing.
PhD thesis: ”Resilient Society, Vulnerable People. A study of disaster response and recovery from floods in central Vietnam”.
Post Doc research project: “Adaptive Capacity of Poor Households in Southeast Asia, in context of climate change and privatization of natural resources”.
2010-2012: Coordinator for RDViet – a Sida financed cooperation between SLU and universities in Vietnam for capacity building (education and research) in rural development and natural resource management. Assistant coordinator 2004 – 2009.
Development cooperation programs in Vietnam:
12/1996-8/1999 District Co-ordinator, Hai Lang district, Quang Tri Rural Development Programme, Vietnam - Finland. Oy Finnagro AB
9/1994–12/1995 Provincial Advisor, Farm Level Forestry Project, Yen Bai Province, Vietnam – Sweden Forestry Co-operation Programme.
10/1992-8/1994 Associate Expert, Farm Level Forestry Project, Tuyen Quang province, Vietnam – Sweden Forestry Co-operation Programme.
11/1989 MSc degree Agronomy - with economic orientation
A large number of BSc and MSc thesis.
- Beckman, Malin 2016. Katastrofrisk och klimatanpassning i Sydostasiens bergsområden. I: Baez Ullberg, S. och Becker, P. (red) Katastrofriskreducering. Perspektiv, praktik, potential. Lund: Studentlitteratur
- Beckman, M. & Nguyen, M.V.T (2015): Upland development, climate related risk and institutional conditions for adaptation in Vietnam, Climate and Development, DOI: 10.1080/17565529.2015.1067178
- Beckman, M., Mochizuki, J. and Naruchaikusol,S. 2015. Changing Land Use, Disaster Risk and Adaptive Responses in Upland Communities in Thailand. Journal of Integrated Disaster Risk Management, IDRiM (2015)5(1) ISSN: 2185-8322 DOI10.5595/idrim.2015.0083
- Beckman, M. 2011. Converging and conflicting interests in adaptation to environmental change in central Vietnam. Journal of Climate and Development vol. 3 (2011) http://dx.doi.org/10.3763/cdev.2010.0065
- Beckman, M. 2006. Resilient Society, Vulnerable People. A study of disaster response and recovery from floods in central Vietnam. Ph.d. thesis. Uppsala: Swedish University of Agriculture Sciences.