- Professor of Environmental Assessment – Aquatic Ecology (2007).
- Associate Professor in Ecology at SLU (2000).
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Limnology, Uppsala University (1995). Thesis: Microbial food resources for profundal zoobenthos in lakes.
Ongoing and recent projects
- INFORM-Hg: Newly inundated forest landscapes as hotspots for mercury bioaccumulation and transfer across the aquatic- terrestrial food web (INFORM-Hg), 2021–2023, 4 MSEK, funded by FORMAS, project lead Karin Eklöf)
- ARCTIC-BIODIVER: Scenarios of freshwater biodiversity and ecosystem services in a changing Arctic (2019–2022, 5 MSEK, funded by FORMAS)
- REFINE: ImpRoved assEssment oF climate impact and eutrophication in arctic/alpINE lakes (2020–2022, 5 MSEK, funded by Swedish EPA)
- Effects of large-scale, climate-mediated oligotrophication on the food webs of Arctic/alpine lakes, (2016–2020, 3 MSEK, funded by FORMAS, project lead Tobias Vrede)
- FRESHBAR - WP2: Barcoding of freshwater taxa for improved assessment of biodiversity (5 MSEK, 2020–2022, funded by Swedish EPA, project lead Maria Kahlert)
- INTERACT II: Improving and harmonizing biodiversity monitoring in the Arctic (partner in WP7, funded by the European Community
- IMPROVE: Towards an IMPROVEd framework for the ecological risk
assessment of pesticide mixtures (2017–2020, 5.7 MSEK, funded by FORMAS)
- CENTURION – Cumulative Effects of climate chaNge and culTUral eutRophicatION on aquatic ecosystems during the Anthropocene: towards the development of a novel paleolimnogical assessment method. Swedish EPA Research Council (5 MSEK, funded by Swedish EPA, project lead Simon Belle)
I have the following appointments:
- Coordinator for SLU's assessment program for Arctic/alpine landscapes (since 2017)
- Swedish representative and co-chair for the freshwater group of the Circumpolar Biodiversity Monitoring Program of the Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna (CAFF), the biodiversity working group of the Arctic Council (since 2010)
Selected technical publications and reports:
Lento, J, Goedkoop W, Culp J, Christoffersen KS, Lárusson KF, Fefilova E, Guðbergsson G, Liljaniemi P, Ólafsson JS, Sandøy S, Zimmerman C, Christensen T, Chambers P, Heino J, Hellsten S, Kahlert M, Keck F, Laske S, Chun Pong Lau D, Lavoie I, Levenstein B, Mariash H, Rühland K, Saulnier- Talbot E, Schartau AK, Svenning M. 2019. State of the Arctic Freshwater Biodiversity Report. Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna International Secretariat, Akureyri, Iceland. ISBN 978-9935-431-77-6.
CAFF. 2019. State of the Arctic Freshwater Biodiversity Report: Key Findings and Advice for monitoring. Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna International Secretariat, Akureyri, Iceland. ISBN 978-9935-431-78-3.
Goedkoop, W. & M. Kahlert. 2018. Investigations of pesticide effects on benthic assemblages in agricultural streams. SLU:s Competence Centre for Chemical Pesticides, Report 2018:2. (In Swedish).
Ongoing cooperations involve colleagues at the following universities and organisations: Oslo Univ., Copenhagen Univ., University of New Brunswick (Canada), University of Bielefeld (Germany), Wilfried Laurier Univ. (Canada), Umeå Univ., CAFF-secretariat (Akureyri, Iceland), Estonian Univ. Life Sciences, regional county boards in Sweden.
I have supervised 6 postdocs, 5 PhD-students and 17 MSc-students as the main supervisor and been the assistant supervisor for another 5 PhD-students.
Lau DCP, Christoffersen KS, Erkinaro J, Hayden B, Heino J, Hellsten S, Holmgren K, Kahilainen KK, Kahlert M, Karjalainen SM, Karlsson J, Forsström L, Lento J, Mjelde M, Ruuhijärvi J, Sandøy S, Schartau A-K, Svenning M-A, Vrede T, Goedkoop W. 2020. Multitrophic biodiversity patterns and environmental descriptors of Arctic and sub-Arctic lakes in northern Europe. (Freshwat. Biol., in press).
Culp JM, Goedkoop W, Christensen T, Christoffersen KS, Fefilova E, Liljaniemi P, Novichkova AA, Olafsson J, Sandøy S, Zimmerman CE, Lento J. Establishing biodiversity baselines and trends and evaluating drivers of ecological change in circum-Arctic rivers and lakes. (Accepted for publication in Freshwat. Biol.).
Heino J, Culp JM, Erkinaro J, Goedkoop W, Lento J, Rühland KM, Smol JP. 2020. Abruptly and irreversibly changing Arctic freshwaters urgently require standardized monitoring. J Applied Ecol. 57: 1192–1198.
Bighiu, MA, Gottschalk S, Arrhenius Å, Goedkoop W. 2020. Pesticide mixtures cause short-term, reversible effects on the function of autotrophic periphyton assemblages. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 139: 1367–1374.
Bighiu, MA, Höss, S, Traunspurger W, Kahlert M, Goedkoop W. 2020. Limited effects of pesticides on stream macroinvertebrates, biofilm nematodes, and algae in intensive agricultural landscapes. Water Research 174: 115640.
Belle, S, Nilsson LJ, Tönno I, Freiberg R, Vrede T, Goedkoop W. 2019.
Climate-induced changes in carbon flows across the plant-consumer interface in a small subarctic lake. Scientific Reports 9: 17087.
Lau DCP, Vrede T, Goedkoop W. 2017. Lake responses to long-term disturbances and management practices. Freshw. Biol. 62:792–806.
Johansson KSL, Trigal C, Vrede T, van Rijswijk P, Goedkoop W, Johnson RK. 2016. Algal blooms induce shifts in basal food resources for consumers in boreal lakes – Evidence from fatty acid biomarkers. Limnology and Oceanography 61: 1563–1573.
Lau, DCP, Sundh I, Vrede T, Pickova J, Goedkoop W.
2014. Autochthonous resources are the main driver of consumer production in dystrophic boreal lakes. Ecology 95: 1506–1519.
Goedkoop W, Naddafi R & Grandin U. 2011. Retention of N and P by zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha Pallas) and its quantitative role in the nutrient budget of eutrophic Lake Ekoln, Sweden. Biological Invasions 5: 1077–1086.