The use of the horse
Additional course evaluations for HV0181
Academic year 2020/2021The use of the horse (HV0181-10081) 2020-09-30 - 2020-11-01
HV0181 The use of the horse, 7.5 CreditsHästen i sport, arbete och fritid
SubjectsBiology Animal science
Education cycleFirst cycle
Advanced study in the main fieldFirst cycle, at least 60 credits from first-cycle courses as entry requirements(G2F)
Prior knowledgeKnowledge equivalent to:
- 80 hp Animal Science or 80 hp Biology, of which at least 7,5 hp animal physiology, 5 hp breeding, and 7,5 hp nutrition
ObjectivesThe course comprise basic knowledge of the prerequisites to use horses in sport, work and for leisure purposes. After the course, the student should be able to:
- briefly describe learning and cognition in horses and interactions between horse and human
- describe basic principles of exercise physiology and how the prerequisites for exercise affects biomechanics, health and durability of the horse
- apply laws and regulations governing the keeping and use of horses
- compose feeding strategies for exercising horses
- describe and compare different methods for genetic evaluation and selection, as well as different reproduction techniques
- identify and analyse requirements and prerequisites for a sustainable use of horses
ContentThe teaching comprises lectures, exercises, group discussions and projects. Managing organs and live animals may be included in the course. The course gives an introduction to use of the horse and enterprise with horse and treats subject areas such as learning in horses, exercise physiology, biomechanics, housing, animal protection, breeding and feeding for horses in sport, work and leisure. Through the entire course, sustainability, health and welfare are key elements.
Mandatory moments are included.
In the course the students practice the following generic competences: scientific approach, scientific writing, oral presentation.
Formats and requirements for examinationApproved examination and project and active participation in mandatory activities.
- If the student fails a test, the examiner may give the student a supplementary assignment, provided this is possible and there is reason to do so.
- If the student has been granted special educational support because of a disability, the examiner has the right to offer the student an adapted test, or provide an alternative assessment.
- If changes are made to this course syllabus, or if the course is closed, SLU shall decide on transitional rules for examination of students admitted under this syllabus but who have not yet passed the course.
- For the examination of a degree project (independent project), the examiner may also allow the student to add supplemental information after the deadline. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
- The right to take part in teaching and/or supervision only applies to the course date to which the student has been admitted and registered on.
- If there are special reasons, the student may take part in course components that require compulsory attendance at a later date. For more information on this, please refer to the regulations for education at Bachelor's and Master's level.
Additional informationThe course The biology of the horse (7,5 hp) is not a formal entry requirement but is recommended for understanding the content of this course.
Students that have passed the physiology part of the course "Djurens biologi 3 - fysiologi" has the necessary knowledge of physiology. Students that have passed the course "Djurens nutrition" 7,5 hp, HV0129 or "Djurens utfodring" 7,5 hp, HV0130 has the necessary knowledge in nutrition. Students that have passed the course "Avel 1" 7,5 hp, HV0131 or "Avel 2" 7,5 hp, HV0132 has the necessary knowledge in breeding.