My research mainly concerns the genetics of behavior in dogs, dairy cattle genetics and some studies related to developing countries.
I am mainly teaching in the course Animal Genetics - Health, behaviour and welfare and in our introductory breeding courses.
I have been involved in several projects that have been aimed at quantifying the amount of genetic variation (and covariation) in various types of traits in various species. The traits studied have been fertility, health, behavior, maternal ability, performance or production, and longevity; and mainly in the species dairy cattle, horses, and dogs. I have several collaborative projects with, e.g., VikingGenetics and Växa (regarding dairy cattle) and the Swedish Kennel Club.
• Professor in animal breeding and genetics, SLU, 2003
• Associate professor (Docent) SLU, 1997
• PhD in Animal Breeding (AgrD) SLU, 1991
• Master of Science (Dairy Science) Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison, 1983
• Master of Science in Agriculture (Animal Science) SLU, 1982
Currently I am working with the following PhD-student projects:
- Use of cow genotyping to improve genetic progress, farm profit and food production in Sweden (industry PhD student Christian Bengtsson, VikingGenetics)
- Studies of pregnancy loss in dairy cattle - Patricia Gullstrand
- Individually adapted lactation lengths in dairy cattle - Anna Edvardsson Rasmussen, PhD student at dept of animal nutrition and management
- Selection strategies in Swedish Warmblood horses - Sandra Bonow
- Breeding for improved trotting in horses - Paulina Berglund
Recently finished PhD-student projects
- Crossbreeding in dairy cattle: novel breeding tools for sustainable dairy and beef production - Julie Brastrup Clasen
- Phenotypic and genetic characterization, conservation and breeding programs of Creole cattle in Cochabamba and Tarija (Bolivia) - Gabriela Bottani
- Comparison of the performance traits between indigenous cattle and its crossbreds in Rwanda- Maximillian Manzi
- International breeding programs to improve health in pedigree dogs - Shizhi Wang
- Genetic variation in sensitivity to environmental changes in dairy cattle - Ahmed Ismael Sayed
- Sustainable breeding strategies for ruminants in Eastern and Southern Africa – Emelie Zonabend König
- Strandberg, E. Linda Andersson, Ulf Emanuelson, Charlotte Reinhard Bjørnvad, Sara Ringmark, Åke Hedhammar, and Katja Höglund. 2023. Heritability and Genetic Trend of Body Weight in Dogs of Different Breeds in Sweden. J Anim Sci 101:skad173. doi: 10.1093/jas/skad173
- Wang, S., Strandberg, E., Arvelius, P., Clements, D.N., Wiener, P. & Friedrich, J. 2021. Genome-wide association studies for canine hip dysplasia in single and multiple populations – implications and potential novel risk loci. BMC Genomics 22 (1), 1-12
- Eriksson, S., A.M. Johansson and E. Strandberg. 2023. Changes in genomic inbreeding and diversity over half a century in Swedish Red and Swedish Holstein dairy cattle. J. Animal Breeding and Genetics 140(3):295-303. doi: 10.1111/jbg.12758
- Edvardsson-Rasmussen, A., Holtenius, K., Båge, R., Strandberg, E., Åkerlind, M. & Kronqvist, Cecilia, 2023. A randomized study on the effect of extended voluntary waiting period in primiparous dairy cows on milk yield during first and second lactation. J Dairy Sci 106(4):2510-2518. doi: 10.3168/jds.2022-22773
- Edvardsson-Rasmussen, A., Båge, R., Holtenius, K., Strandberg, E., von Brömssen, C., Åkerlind, M. & Kronqvist, Cecilia, 2023. A randomized study on the effect of an extended voluntary waiting period in primiparous dairy cows on fertility, health and culling during first and second lactation. J. Dairy Sci. accepted
- Bengtsson C, Stålhammar H, Thomasen JR, Fikse WF, Strandberg E, Eriksson S. Mating allocations in Holstein combining genomic information and linear programming optimization at the herd level. J Dairy Sci.106(5):3359-3375. doi: 10.3168/jds.2022-22926.
- Bengtsson, C., Stålhammar, H., Thomasen, J.R., Eriksson, S., Fikse, W.F., Strandberg, E. 2022. Mating allocations in Nordic Red Dairy Cattle using genomic information. J. Dairy Sci. 105 (2), 1281-1297
- Bottani-Claros, G., Jonas, E. & Strandberg, E. 2022. Relevance of the production system for the sustainability of conservation and breeding programs for the Creole cattle in Pasorapa, Bolivia. Discover Sustainablity 3, 19 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s43621-022-00085-8
- Niyonzima, Y.B., D’Andre Hirwa, C., Strandberg, E., Manzi, M. Ntawubizi, M. and Rydhmer, L. 2021. The effect of high temperature and humidity on milk yield in Ankole and crossbred cows. Tropical Animal Health and Production 54:1-11
- Tarekegn, G.M., J. Karlsson, C. Kronqvist, B. Berglund, K. Holtenius & E. Strandberg. 2021. Genetic parameters of forage dry matter intake and milk produced from forage in Swedish Red and Holstein dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 104:4424-4440
- Tarekegn, G.M., E. Strandberg, S. Andonov, R. Båge, P. Gullstrand, E. Rius-Vilarrasa, J.M. Christensen, B. Berglund. 2021. Single-step genome-wide association study uncovers known and novel candidate genomic regions for endocrine and classical fertility traits in Swedish Red and Holstein dairy cows. Livestock Sci. 253, 10473
- Ask-Gullstrand, P., E. Strandberg, R. Båge, J.M. Christensen, B. Berglund. 2021. Genetic parameters for reproductive losses estimated from in-line milk progesterone profiles in Swedish dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 104:3231-3239