My research mainly concerns the genetics of behavior in dogs, dairy cattle genetics and some studies related to developing countries.
I am mainly teaching in the course Animal Genetics - Health, behaviour and welfare and in our introductory breeding courses. I'm also responsible for the course on Dogs and Cats - biology and use.
I have been involved in several projects that have been aimed at quantifying the amount of genetic variation (and covariation) in various types of traits in various species. The traits studied have been fertility, health, behavior, maternal ability, performance or production, and longevity; and the species dairy cattle, pigs, poultry, horses, and dogs.
• Professor in animal breeding and genetics, SLU, 2003
• Associate professor (Docent) SLU, 1997
• PhD in Animal Breeding (AgrD) SLU, 1991
• Master of Science (Dairy Science) Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison, 1983
• Master of Science in Agriculture (Animal Science) SLU, 1982
Currently I am working with the following PhD-student projects:
- Phenotypic and genetic characterization, conservation and breeding programs of Creole cattle in Cochabamba and Tarija (Bolivia) - Gabriela Bottani
- Use of cow genotyping to improve genetic progress, farm profit and food production in Sweden (industry PhD student Christian Bengtsson, VikingGenetics)
- Crossbreeding in dairy cattle: novel breeding tools for sustainable dairy and beef production - Julie Brastrup Clasen
- Studies of pregnancy loss in dairy cattle - Patricia Gullstrand
- Individually adapted lactation lengths in dairy cattle - Anna Edvardsson Rasmussen, PhD student at dept of animal nutrition and management
Recently finished PhD-student projects
- Comparison of the performance traits between indigenous cattle and its crossbreds in Rwanda- Maximillian Manzi
- International breeding programs to improve health in pedigree dogs - Shizhi Wang
- Genetic variation in sensitivity to environmental changes in dairy cattle - Ahmed Ismael Sayed
- Sustainable breeding strategies for ruminants in Eastern and Southern Africa – Emelie Zonabend König
- Genetic Variation of In-line Recorded Milkability Traits and Associations with Udder Conformation and Health in Swedish Dairy Cattle - Caroline Carlström
Clasen, J.B., Fikse, W.F., Kargo, M., Rydhmer, L., Strandberg, E. and Østergaard, S. 2020. Economic consequences of dairy crossbreeding in conventional and organic herds in Sweden. J. Dairy Sci. 103:514-528
Upadhyay, M., Susanne Eriksson, Sofia Mikko, Erling Strandberg, Hans Stålhammar, Martien A. M. Groenen, Richard P. M. A. Crooijmans, Göran Andersson and Anna M. Johansson. 2019. Genomic relatedness and diversity of Swedish native cattle breeds. GSE 51, article number 56
Friedrich, Juliane., Erling Strandberg, Per Arvelius, Enrique Sánchez-Molano, Ricardo Pong-Wong, John Hickey, Marie Haskell, Pamela Wiener. 2019. Assessing the genetic contribution to complex behavioural traits in German Shepherd dogs. Heredity
Friedrich, J., P. Arvelius, E. Strandberg, Z. Polgar, P. Wiener, and M. J. Haskell. 2018. The interaction between behavioural traits and demographic and management factors in German Shepherd dogs. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 211:67-761.
Bottani-Claros, G., Jonas, E., Rojas Beltrán JA & Strandberg, E. 2019. Description of the production and management system of the Creole cattle from Pasorapa, Bolivia, a well-adapted population to harsh environments. Livestock Research for Rural Development 31(10)
Manzi, M., L. Rydhmer, M. Ntawubizi, C. Karege, and E. Strandberg. 2018. Growth traits of crossbreds of Ankole with Brown Swiss, Holstein Friesian, Jersey, and Sahiwal cattle in Rwanda. Trop Anim Health Prod 50(4):825-830.
Manzi, M., L. Rydhmer, M. Ntawubizi, C. Karege, and E. Strandberg. 2018. Reproductive performance of Ankole cattle and its crossbreds in Rwanda.Tropical Animal Health and Production https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-018-1658-8
Tarekegn, G.M., F. Meutchieye, A. Djikeng, R. Mrode, Z. Edea, B. Liu, W. Zhang, O.A. Mwai, T. Dessie, K. Tesfaye, E. Strandberg, B. Berglund, P. Wouobeng, K. S. Jaures, C. Mutai, S. Osama, A.T. Wolde, J. Birungi. 2019. Genome-wide diversity and demographic dynamics of Cameroon goats and their divergence from east and north African and Asian conspecifics. PLOS One