- Future Agriculture - livestock, crops and land use, an interdisciplinary research platform at SLU
- Mistra Biotech – Biotechnology for sustainable and competitive agriculture and food systems
- Breeding for sustainable pig production in various production systems
- Genetics of maternal ability and oxytocin in sows
- Entire male pigs, behaviour and management
Education and diplomas
- MSc in Agriculture (Animal science), SLU, 1984
- Agr dr in Animal breeding and genetics, SLU, 1993
- Associate professor in Animal breeding, 2000
- Junior researcher at Dept. of Animal Breeding and Genetics, SLU, 1985-1995
- Senior research officer at Dept. of Animal Breeding and Genetics, SLU, 1995-1998
- Post Doctoral Fellow at Dept. of Animal Breeding and Genetics, SLU, 1998-2004
- Senior research officer at Dept. of Animal Breeding and Genetics, SLU, 2005-2007
- Senior lecturer at Dept. of Animal Breeding and Genetics, SLU, 2007-
- Vice-dean at the Faculty for Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, SLU, 2007-2009
- Head of Section for Applied Genetics at Dept. of Animal Breeding and Genetics, SLU, 2011-2013 and Sept. 2015-
See Google scholar for scientific articles
Ahlman, T, Berglund, B, Rydhmer, L & Strandberg, E. 2011. Culling reasons in organic and conventional dairy herds and genotype by environment interaction for longevity. J Dairy Sci. 94, 1568-1575.
Bonneau, M, Antoine-Ilari, E, Phatsara, C, Brinkmann, D, Hviid, M, Christiansen, MG, Fàbrega, M, Rodríguez, P, Rydhmer, L, Enting, I, de Greef, K, Edge, H, Dourmad, J-Y, Edwards, S. 2011. Diversity of pig production systems at farm level in Europe. Journal on Chain and Network Science 11, 115-135
Canario, L., Turner, S.P., Roehe, R., Lundeheim, N., D'Eath, R.B.D., Lawrence, A.B., Knol, E., Bergsma, R. and Rydhmer, L. 2012. Genetic associations between behavioral traits and direct-social effects of growth rate in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 90, 4706-4715.
Gourdine, J.L., de Greef, K.H. & Rydhmer, L. 2010. Breeding for high welfare in outdoor pig production: a simulation study. Livest. Sci.132, 26-34.
Lundgren, H. Zumbach, B, Lundeheim, N, Grandinson, K, Vangen, O, Olsen, D, Rydhmer, L. 2012. Heritability of shoulder ulcers and genetic correlations with mean piglet weight and sow body condition. Animal 6, 1-8.
Rydhmer, L., Lundeheim, N., Canario, L. 2008. Genetic correlations between gestation length, piglet survival and early growth. Livest. Sci. 115, 287-293.
Rydhmer, L. & Lundeheim, N. 2008. Breeding pigs for improved welfare. In: Welfare of Pigs: from birth to slaughter. Eds: Faucitano, L & Schaefer, AL. Wageningen Academic Publishers, pp 243-270.
Rydhmer, L., Lundström, K. & Andersson, K. 2010. Immunocastration reduces aggressive and sexual behaviour in male pigs. Animal, 4, 965-972.
Rydhmer, L., Hansson, M., Lundström, K., Brunius, C. & Andersson, K. 2013. Welfare of entire male pigs is improved by socialising piglets and keeping intact groups until slaughter. Animal 7, 1532-1541.
Rydhmer, L. & Canario, L. 2014. Behavioural genetics in pigs and relations to welfare. In: Genetics and the behaviour of domestic animals, 2nd ed. Eds: Grandin, T. & Deesing, M. Elsevier, ISBN 978-0-12-394586-0, pp. 397-434
Turner, S.P., Roehe, R., D'Eath, R.B., Ison, S.H., Farish, M., Jack, M.C., Lundeheim, N., Rydhmer, L. & Lawrence, A.B. 2009. Genetic validation of postmixing skin injuries in pigs as an indicator of aggressiveness and the relationship with injuries under more stable social conditions. J. Anim. Sci. 87, 3076-3082.
Wallenbeck, A, Gustafson, G & Rydhmer, L. 2009. Sow performance and maternal behaviour in organic and conventional herds. Acta Agric. Scand. Section A 59, 181-191
Öborn, I., Bengtsson, J., Hedenus, F., Rydhmer, L., Stenström, M., Vrede, K., Westin, C., Magnusson, U. 2013. Scenario development as a basis for formulating a research program on future agriculture: A methodological approach. Ambio 42, 823-839