My main research focus is on production diseases in dairy cows, but it includes also other diseases and impaired productivity as well as other animal species. The research is based on available secondary databases (e.g. disease occurrence), many of which are unique for Sweden, but also on large-scale field studies designed and conducted for specific research projects. I use SAS, Stata and R in research and research education. My expert area is in analytical epidemiology. I am also involved in teaching epidemiology for veterinary students and for students in a MSc-program of infectious biology.
Exploring the environmental connection between cattle and human EHEC cases.
Motivational interviewing as a means to decrease antimicrobial drug use in animal production.
Risk-factors for super-shedding of E. coli O157:H7 (VTEC O157) in cattle.
Antibiotic use and antimicrobial resistance in organic dairy herds.
Forage efficient cows - good for the cows and the environment.
Evolutionary management systems in large dairy herds - a way to improve udder health.
Improved claw trimming information.
Using data collection as part of official animal welfare control in animal welfare research.
Risk factors for disease in Swedish feedlot calves and preventive measures.
Assessing the impact of African swine fever in smallholder pig systems and the feasibility of potential interventions, SIDA, 2 600 000 kr. Project period 2013-2015. Co-applicant.
IMPRO – Impact matrix analysis and cost-benefit calculations to improve management practices regarding health status in organic dairy farming. See http://www.impro-dairy.eu/.
Evaluation of alternative strategies for raising pigs with minimal antimicrobial usage: Opportunities and constraints (MINAPIG) See http://www.minapig.eu/.
Why is longevity not increasing in Swedish dairy cows?
Viral infections in organic dairy herds – risks, biosecurity and resiliency.
Cryptosporidium infection dynamics in cattle.
Assessment of technical and economic efficiency of mastitis-control actions in order to improve udder health management and increase the welfare of dairy cows.
Master of Science in Animal Science (Agronom), SLU, Uppsala, 1980
Agr. Dr., Dept. Animal Breeding and Genetics, SLU, 1987
Docent in veterinary epidemiology, SLU, 1992
Associate member (diplomate) of the European College of Veterinary Public Health, 2007
Teaching assistant, Dept. Animal Breeding and Genetics, SLU, 1979-1980
Research assistant, Dept. Animal Breeding and Genetics, SLU, 1980-1983
PhD-position, Dept. Animal Breeding and Genetics, SLU, 1983-1987
Epidemiological expert, Swedish Dairy Association, 1987-1998
Interbull Centre Director, SLU, 1998-2004
Professor in veterinary epidemiology, Dept. Clinical Sciences, Division for Ruminant Medicine and Veterinary Epidemiology, SLU, 2004-
Head of Division, Dept. Clinical Sciences, Division for Ruminant Medicine and Veterinary Epidemiology, SLU, 2005-2008
Karin Jonasson: ”IMPRO – Impact matrix analysis and cost-benefit calculations to improve management practices regarding health status in organic dairy farming”. Main supervisor.
Lena-Mari Tamminen: “Risk-factors for super-shedding of E. coli O157:H7 (VTEC O157) in cattle”. Main supervisor.
Dorota Anglart: “Improved detection of mastitis in dairy cows”. Main supervisor.
Karolina Engdahl: "Epidemiology of knee joint problems in dogs". Main supervisor.
Malin Åberg: ”Kryptosporidiers infektionsdynamik hos nötkreatur”. Assistant supervisor.
Lisa Andrée: ”Anpassad sintid hos mjölkkor – inverkan på mjölkavkastning, djurhälsa och fertilitet och optimalt utnyttjande av råmjölk”. Assistant supervisor.
Only selected publications. See https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ulf_Emanuelson/publications for a complete list
- Alvåsen, K., Johansson, S., Höglund, J., Ssuna, R. & Emanuelson, U. 2016. A field survey on parasites and antibodies against selected pathogens in owned dogs in Lilongwe, Malawi. J. S. Afr. Vet. Assoc. 87, a1358. doi:10.4102/jsava.v87i1.1358.
- Backhans, A., Sjölund, M., Lindberg, A. & Emanuelson, U. 2016. Antimicrobial use in Swedish farrow-to-finish pig herds is related to farmer characteristics. PHM 2:18. DOI:10.1186/s40813-016-0035-0.
- Bergeå, H., Roth, A., Emanuelson, U. & Agenäs, S. 2016. Farmer awareness of cow longevity and implications for decision making at farm level. Acta Agric. Scand. A Anim. Sci. (accepted) DOI:10.1080/09064702.2016.1196726.
- Dohoo, I.R., Nielsen, C. & Emanuelson, U. 2016. Multiple imputation in veterinary epidemiological studies: a case study and simulation. Prev. Vet. Med. 129, 35-47.
- Duse, A., Persson Waller, K., Emanuelson, U., Unnerstad, H.E., Persson, Y. & Bengtsson, B. 2016. Occurrence and spread of quinolone resistant Escherichia coli on dairy farms. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 82, 3765-3773.
- Duval, J., Fourichon, C., Madouasse, A., Sjöström, K., Emanuelson, U. & Bareille, N. 2016. A participatory approach to design monitoring indicators of production diseases in organic dairy farms. Prev. Vet. Med. 128, 12-22.
- Nyman, A.-K., Emanuelson, U. & Persson Waller, K. 2016. Diagnostic test performance of somatic cell count, lactate dehydrogenase and N-acetyl-β-D-glucoseaminidase in detecting dairy cows with intramammary infection. J. Dairy Sci. 99, 1–9.
- Postma, M., Backhans, A., Collineau, L., Loesken, S., Sjölund, M., Belloc, C., Emanuelson, U., grosse Beilage, E., Stärk, K.D. & Dewulf, J. 2016. The biosecurity status and its associations with production and management characteristics in farrow-to-finish pig herds. Animal 10, 478-489. doi: 10.1017/S1751731115002487.
- Postma, M., Backhans, A., Collineau, L., Loesken, S., Sjölund, M., Belloc, C., Emanuelson, U., grosse Beilage, E., Nielsen, E.O., Stärk, K.D.C. & Dewulf, J. 2016. Evaluation of the relationship between the biosecurity status, production parameters, herd characteristics and antimicrobial usage in farrow-to-finish pig production in four EU countries. PHM 2:9. DOI: 10.1186/s40813-016-0028-z.
- Sjölund, M., Postma, M., Collineau, L., Backhans, A., Belloc, C., Emanuelson, U., grosse Beilage, E., Stärk, K. & Dewulf, J. 2016. Quantitative and qualitative antimicrobial usage patterns in farrow-to-finish pig herds in Belgium, France, Germany and Sweden. Prev. Vet. Med. 130, 41–50.
- Widgren, S., Engblom, S., Bauer, P., Frössling, J., Emanuelson, U. & Lindberg, A. 2016. Data-driven network modelling of disease transmission using complete population movement data: Spread of VTEC O157 in Swedish cattle. Vet. Res. 47:81. doi: 10.1186/s13567-016-0366-5.
- Ågren, E.C.C., Sternberg Lewerin, S., Wahlström, H., Emanuelson, U. & Frössling, J. 2016. Low prevalence of Salmonella in Swedish dairy herds highlight differences between serotypes. Prev. Vet. Med. 125, 38-45.
- Sjolund, Marie; Backhans, Annette; Greko, Christina; Emanuelson, Ulf; Lindberg, Ann. 2015. Antimicrobial usage in 60 Swedish farrow-to-finish pig herds. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 121, 257-264.
- Widgren, Stefan; Soderlund, Robert; Eriksson, Erik; Fasth, Charlotta; Aspan, Anna; Emanuelson, Ulf; Alenius, Stefan; Lindberg, Ann. 2015. Longitudinal observational study over 38 months of verotoxigenic Escherichia coli O157:H7 status in 126 cattle herds. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 121, 343-352.
- Duse, Anna; Waller, Karin Persson; Emanuelson, Ulf; Unnerstad, Helle Ericsson; Persson, Ylva; Bengtsson, Bjorn. 2015. Risk factors for quinolone-resistant Escherichia coli in feces from preweaned dairy calves and postpartum dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science 98, 6387-6398.
- Agren, Estelle C. C.; Johansson, Jan; Frossling, Jenny; Wahlstrom, Helene; Emanuelson, Ulf; Sternberg-Lewerin, Susanna. 2015. Factors affecting costs for on-farm control of salmonella in Swedish dairy herds. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica 57.
- Muhangi, Denis; Masembe, Charles; Emanuelson, Ulf; Boqvist, Sofia; Mayega, Lawrence; Ademun, Rose Okurut; Bishop, Richard P.; Ocaido, Michael; Berg, Mikael; Stahl, Karl. 2015. A longitudinal survey of African swine fever in Uganda reveals high apparent disease incidence rates in domestic pigs, but absence of detectable persistent virus infections in blood and serum. BMC Veterinary Research 11.
- Visschers, V. H. M.; Backhans, A.; Collineau, L.; Iten, D.; Loesken, S.; Postma, M.; Belloc, C.; Dewulf, J.; Emanuelson, U.; Beilage, E. Grosse; Siegrist, M.; Sjolund, M.; Staerk, K. D. C. 2015. Perceptions of antimicrobial usage, antimicrobial resistance and policy measures to reduce antimicrobial usage in convenient samples of Belgian, French, German, Swedish and Swiss pig farmers. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 119, 10-20.
- Backhans, Annette; Sjolund, Marie; Lindberg, Ann; Emanuelson, Ulf. 2015. Biosecurity level and health management practices in 60 Swedish farrow-to-finish herds. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica 57.
- Wolff, Cecilia; Emanuelson, Ulf; Ohlson, Anna; Alenius, Stefan; Fall, Nils. 2015. Bovine respiratory syncytial virus and bovine coronavirus in Swedish organic and conventional dairy herds. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica 57.
- Duse, Anna; Waller, Karin Persson; Emanuelson, Ulf; Unnerstad, Helle Ericsson; Persson, Ylva; Bengtsson, Bjorn. 2015. Risk factors for antimicrobial resistance in fecal Escherichia coli from preweaned dairy calves. Journal of Dairy Science 98, 500-516.
- Postma, Merel; Sjolund, Marie; Collineau, Lucie; Losken, Svenja; Stark, Katharina D. C.; Dewulf, Jeroen. 2015. Assigning defined daily doses animal: a European multi-country experience for antimicrobial products authorized for usage in pigs. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 70, 294-302.