Expertise in the area of plant based components such as, proteins (and starch) and their use in food and non-food applications. A focus on protein rich bi-products originating from industrial side-streams in a circular bio-economy, bio-composites and biobased materials for diverse end-uses, as well as on innovative protein-rich foods. Protein (and starch) use in food and non-food applications with focus on a structure-function relationship, also using latest X-ray scattering synchrotron techniques is between the core research areas. Ramune is also a vice-coordinator for MAX IV-SLU initiative platform promoting and supporting the use of the latest MAX IV synchrotron methods at SLU.
Scientific peer review publications
1. Muneer, F., Johansson, E., Hedenqvist, M.S., Plivelic, T.S., R. Kuktaite, 2019. Impact of pH modification on protein polymerization and structure-function relationships in potato protein and wheat gluten composites. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 20(1): 58.
2. Rasheed, F., Plivelic, T.S., Kuktaite, R., Hedenqvist, M.S., E. Johansson, 2018. Unravelling the structural puzzle of the giant glutenin polymer- An interplay between protein polymerization, nano-morphology and functional properties. ACS Omega, 3(5), 5584-5592.
3. Andrade, F.D., Newson, W.R., Bernardinelli, O.D., Rasheed, F., Cobo, M.F., Plivelic, T.S., de Azevedo, E.R., Kuktaite R., 2018. An insight into molecular motions and phase composition of gliadin/glutenin glycerol blends studied by 13C Solid-state and 1H Time-domain NMR. Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, 56, 739-750.
4. Newson, W.R., Prieto-Linde, M.L., Kuktaite, R., Hedenqvist, M.S., Gällstedt, M., E. Johansson, 2017. Effect of extraction routes on protein content, solubility and molecular weight distribution of Crambe abyssinica protein concentrates and thermally processed films thereof. Ind. Crops Prod 97, 591.
5. Muneer F., Andersson M., Koch K., Hedenqvist M.S., Gällstedt M., Plivelic T.S., Menzel C., Rhazi L. and R. Kuktaite, 2016. Innovative gliadin/glutenin and modified potato starch green composites: Chemistry, structure, and functionality induced by processing. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 4(12), 6332-6343.
6. Kuktaite, R., Newson, W. R., Rasheed, F., Plivelic, T. S., Hedenqvist, M. S., Gällstedt, M., E. Johansson, 2016. Monitoring nano-structure dynamics and polymerization in glycerol plasticized wheat gliadin and glutenin films: relation to mechanical properties. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 4 (6), 2998–3007.
7. Yu, S., Chen, F., Wu, Q., Roth, S., Brüning, K., Schneider, K., Kuktaite, R., M. S., Hedenqvist, 2016. The structural changes of gluten/glycerol plastics at dry and moist conditions and during tensile tests. ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering, 4(6), 3388–3397.
8. Rasheed, F., Kuktaite, R., Hedenqvist, M.S., Gällstedt, M., Plivelic, T.S., E. Johansson, 2016. The use of plants as a “green factory” to produce high strength gluten-based materials. Green Chemistry 18, 2782-92.