We supply society and industry with unique knowledge, tools and expertise to further develop a forest-based bioeconomy, a sustainable and carbon-neutral way to secure society’s future.
Our strategic impact areas:
- A bio-based economy that generates environmentally friendly business activities and far-reaching well-being to society
- Sustainable and cost-effective supply and use of biomass resources especially from forests
- Safe working conditions and functional business environment in forestry
- Research and industry relevant characterization of biomass and biomaterial properties
- Efficient biomass conversion into materials, bioenergy and other consumer products
- Supply of expertise to the forest sector at the graduate and postgraduate level.
Our strategic objectives:
- SBT is THE biomass feedstock partner for research, development and innovation in biomaterial supply for present and future biobased industries, especially in thermal and biochemical conversion
- SBT has unique knowledge and develops intelligent tools in biomass production, in forest operations and in the feedstock and industry process interface
- SBT has state of the art laboratories and equipment for pre-processing, characterization and densification of biomass
- SBT can design experiments in all scales and create models for optimization of biomass supply and conversion
- SBT supplies society with unique expertise, essential to attain an effective transition to a forest-based bioeconomy.
SBT is an academic education and research unit, with focus on forest biomass feedstock supply and conversion, that supplies expertise and develops knowledge-based solutions and services primarily to the forest sector but also to society in general when bioeconomy is to be attained.