Welcome to SOL! We have put together an orientation package that we hope will facilitate your work as a new employee at our department. Do not forget to fill out the evaluation form.
Checklist for the orientation
The following should be effected during your orientation
- Submit the In Case of Emergency contact form to the Administrative Manager, Marithe Lindelöf, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Notify Swedbank which account you want to use for salary your payments (from 2023-05-01)
- Be introduced to the colleagues at my division
- Be given a tour of the house to see the department’s premises
- Go through some technical/administrative practicalities; such as keys and keycards, alarms, postal service, etc.
- Be introduced to the technical/administrative (TA) staff - link to list of the TA staff at the department
- Be introduced to the department's equal opportunities representative (Johanna Bergman Lodin & Linley Chiwona Karltun) and to the health & safety representatives at the department (vacant)
- Be introduced to the department's fire safety agents and be informed of the department's evacuation routines and where the Rescue Stations and defibrillators are located.
- Be given a work room
- Receive a computer + login to the SLU server account (AD) and an e-mail account & receive the IT policy documents for SOL as well as SLU
- Receive a phone extension number
- Receive a personal folder on the SOL department server ( U:\)
- Be photographed or submit a photo, along with a presentation text for the department’s website, to the communications officer: email@example.com
- Activate my personal CV page on the SLU website. Ask the Communications Officer firstname.lastname@example.org if I have any questions.
- Send an e-mail to my new colleagues at SOL (email@example.com) with a short presentation of myself
- Be given an introduction to the department’s intranet: www.slu.se/sol/intranet
- Be given an introduction to the SLU staff website: https://internt.slu.se/en and especially the SLU webpage for new employees: https://internt.slu.se/en/my-employment/new-at-slu/
- Be given an introduction to the personnel management system Primula
- Give account of any sideline activities (mandatory for Senior Lecturers and Professors). More on sideline acitivities »
About the department
SOL is an acronym for the Swedish name of the department (Stad Och Land), and it has become the commonly used name of the department. SOL is also the Swedish word for sun.
Department of Urban and Rural Development - SOL
The department consists of six divisions:
The department also comprises the national collaborative center:
All divisions hold regular meetings led by the head of the division.
The department's premises
The staff offices are all located in Ulls hus. You enter from Ulls väg 27 (2nd floor) and follow the stairway to the third and fourth floor where the offices are. The student and teaching premises are all located on entrance floor (2nd floor) of Ulls hus.
Management and administration
Heads of the department
Stina Powell, Head of department, +4618672509, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kristina Marquardt, Vice Head of department, +4618672099, send email to: email@example.com
Lars Johansson, Assistant Head of department, +4618671914, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The technical and administrative staff
HR & Finances
Marithe Lindelöf, Administrative Manager, +4618672348, send email to: email@example.com
Administrative support to management functions. Current accounting, cost accounting, budgeting, project tracking, project accounting, auditing, contract management. Department contact person for the Divisions of Law and Finance at SLU.
Petra Fabel, Project Controller, +4618672120, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Project controlling and analyzing, reporting to funders, administrative in-house training and time reporting.
Lisa Danielsson, Financial Officer, +4618671947, send email to: email@example.com
Ann Djurberg, Human Resources Administrator, +4618672088, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Employment cases, renumeration, answers quesions on salary issues.
Elena Vallin, Financial Officer, +4618671920, send email to: email@example.com
Project finance: financial follow-up of projects, budget calculation, reporting to financiers, audits. Education Administration.
Mesumbe Donatus, Financial Officer, +4618672399, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Project controlling and analyzing, reporting to funders, audits, Proceedo.
Mona Olsson, Financial Administrator, +4618672135, send email to: email@example.com.
Travel bills, hourly wages, questions about Primula.
Tarja Onegård, Financial Officer, +4618671776, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Project controlling and analyzing, reporting to funders, audits.
Lena Karlsson , Financial Officer, +4618672748, send email to: email@example.com.
Financial follow-up of projects, calculation, reporting to financiers, audits.
Marlén Tälleklint, Education Administrator, +4618672671, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration and updating of information in Ladok, administrative support for teachers, archiving of education and research material.
Helen Arvidsson, Education Officer, Director of Undergraduate studies, +4618671995, send email to: email@example.com
Director of Undergraduate studies: planning, implementation and follow-up of the department education on basic and advanced level. Department representative in all SLU agencies for basic and advanced education.
IT & premises
David Halim, Technical Coordinator, +4618671900, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Computer and e-mail accounts, networks, user catalogues, user profiles, purchasing of all computer equipment and licences, back-up, IT security, IT support for students and employees. Trade-union representative for ST.
Karen Gould Ekström, Departmental Assistant, +4618672688, send email to: email@example.com
Service support for the administration. Registering in Public360 (case and records management). Distribution and sales of the department’s publications (book series) and the coordination of booking of the weekly visiting massage therapist.
Anni Hoffrén, Communications Officer, +4618672581, send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Production of publications and information materials. Webmaster for the department websites. Admin för the department's social media platforms. Technical editor for the department’s report series.
Anna Maria Wremp, Communications Officer, +4618671394, send email to: email@example.com
Works part-time, mainly with the department's websites, but also with all matters concerning communication through social media.
We have listed the administrative systems we believe will be the most frequently used in you work here at SLU. Please follow each link and get acquainted with the environment. Under each item you find listed who to turn to for help and advice.
NOTE! In order to access these systems you need to be logged in to th SLU network and Steff Website (your AD login) as in the screenshot above.
Fault reports & service requests: if something is not working as it should in the building, e.g. lighting, access cards, cleaning, goods, damage, etc. You can also submit requests for service.
Outlook: Programme used for booking of premises in Ulls hus; for e-mail and the common SOL Calendar. The programme is installed on your computer but is also accessible through a web application, see Web mail.
Questions: Technical Coordinator, +4618671900, send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Primula: Holiday and leave, registering travel expenses, report sickness, reimbursement of medical expenses and give account of any sideline activities
Questions: Financial Administrator Mona Olsson +4618672135, send an e-mail to: email@example.com
Meeting minutes: Minutes from all common working groups at SOL, can be found at our public server: P:\sol-alla\Ledning\Protokoll\
Share Point (Arbetsplatsen): Department’s collaboration platform in Share Point, accessible through internet from all over the world. Common information documents, booking of massage.
Questions: Technical Coordinator, +4618671900, send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Checklist for teachers
There are a number of administrative support functions that will help you working as a teacher at basic and advanced level. We have compiled a list of the most important things to keep in mind as a new teacher at SOL.
- Book a meeting with the Director of undergraduate studies Helen Arvidsson, where you will review the course syllabus, schedule and budget, among other things.
- Book an introduction to administrative support for teachers with Education Administrator Marlén Tälleklint, who will guide you through most of the posts below, and give you access and introduction to the study documentation system Ladok.
- When working as a teacher, it is important to go through the points on the page Undergraduate education on SOL's Intranet, where you find shortcuts to important websites, systems and documents.
Checklist for project leaders
To facilitate the administration of your research project there are a number of persons who can support you in your project management. Below is a list of the main things to keep in mind as a project leader.
Courses for project leaders
All project leaders at SOL are offered a course in project management, arranged by the department. The course covers the administrative essentials of the management of your research project.
Administrative staff in project management
Petra Fabel (LA), Tarja Onegård, Mesumbe Donatus (LAG), Lisa Danielsson (on leave), Lena Karlsson (MK), Petra Fabel (MI), Elena Vallin (CNV, AH, CBM)
Marithe Lindelöf, Administrative Manager: contracts, opening and closing of projects, new project numbers
Petra Fabel, Project Controller: administrative in-house training, applications, contracts, project monitoring, corrections, audits, reporting to the financiers and time reporting
Elena Vallin, Financial Officer: project monitoring, applications, corrections, monthly follow-ups
Tarja Onegård, Financial Officer: project monitoring, applications, corrections, monthly follow-ups
Mesumbe Donatus, Financial Officer: project monitoring, applications, corrections, monthly follow-ups, Proceedo
Lisa Danielsson, Financial Officer: project monitoring, applications, corrections, monthly follow-ups
Lena Karlsson, Financial Officer: project monitoring, applications, corrections, monthly follow-ups
Mona Olsson, Financial Administrator: Travel bills, hourly wages
Ann Djurberg, Human Resources Administrator: employment cases, reimbursement claims
Anni Hoffrén, Communications Officer & Webmaster: Creates project web pages
Marlén Tälleklint, Records & archives: Filing of scientific reports and raw data
Responsibilities of the project leader
- Always contact the project controller when applying for external fundings or submitting a tender.
- Be aware of the financier’s claims associated to an application or tender.
- Be updated on what kind of expenses the project agreement allowes.
- Use time-sheets for recording of activities, so that accurate wages are debited the project.
- Make regular follow-ups of the project and initiate any rectifications in the accounting, in consultation with the project controller.
- Make sure requisitions and invoices are sent in time, in consultation with the administrative manager.
- Report to the financier according to the project plan (project controller).
- Order an audit through the project controller - if required in the agreement (eg. SIDA).
- Only use expenses within the disposal time. If needed, send a written request to the financier for an extension of the disposal time.
- Final reporting - scientific and financial, according to the claims of the financier
Frequently Asked Questions
Channels of Information
- There are several notice boards for internal use around our premises in Ulls hus:
- one SOL common notice board that is oated outside the lunch room on level 3
- one in each mail and copy room (two on level 3 and one on level 4)
- CV pages
All employees are presented on the SLU website with a photo and contacts. There is also the so called CV pages - with room for further presentation of your activities. We at SOl think it is very important that all employees activate their own CV page. Instructions on how to do this.
There is also a Facebook group for more non work related discussions, where everybody working at SOL is welcome!
- We use Outlook for a SOL common calendar to share and coordinate our activities at the department.
Ask the technical coordinator for help to import the calendar into your Outlook, email@example.com, +46 18 67 19 00.
- For advertising outside the department, there is the SLU calendar on the website. Contact the communications officer for this: firstname.lastname@example.org, +46 18 67 25 81.
- Mailing lists
There are mailing lists for all purposes and levels - to everybody working at the University as well as to small working groups at the department:
- email@example.com goes to all employees at SOL (you are automatically included in this group)
- all of the divisions at the department have their own (firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com, etc.)
- student bodies all over SLU
It is possible to create further mailing lists, e.g. all postdocs at the department or division heads, such lists are encouraged as they can be used to discuss issues of help to the persons involved at the same time as they reduce emails to people who are not interested. Please contact David Halim if you wish to make a new mailing list.
Contact the technical coordinator ig you have questions on any of this, firstname.lastname@example.org, +46 18 67 19 00.
To facilitate the planning of joint activities, no classes should be scheduled on Wednesday afternoons, all over Ultuna Campus.
- Fika: at 10:00. and at 15:00. those who want meet up for a joint fika in the lunchroom on level 3. The department offers coffee/tea/hot chocoloate and fruit is delivered twice a week
- Wednesday meetings: every Wednesday at 10:00. we have a joint fika with information, in the lunchroom on level 3. The department offers sandwiches. During the fika, the head or vice head of department informs of what's going on at the department and visitors and new employees have the opportunity to introduce themselves to everybody.
- Division meetings: all the division regularly hold meetings - these are usually held on Wednesdays.
- Postal services
- the mail is collected and delivered daily, at 10:00. The SLU Postal Service handles international, as well as internal and national mail.
The technical Coordinator email@example.com, will make sure that you are introduced to the common servers at SOL.
- All employees are given a personal folder on the department server, usually placed under U:\
- We also have a public folder where we store common work documents, this is placed under P:\
- Share Point/Arbetsplatsen
The department has a Share Point platform called Arbetsplatsen (The work place) that we use for collaborating with people outside the department and to make documents available through internet, without having to be logged in to the SLU network. These documents are then linked to from our intranet.
- Business cards
You can order your business cards here
SLU is environmentally certified against the international standard ISO 14001:2015.
The department follows the policies and regulations stated by SLU concerning the use of data and photos of employees. You can read more about that here.
At SLU, we use Swedish and English in parallel. Whenever there is somebody present who does not understand Swedish, meetings are held in English. If somebody whishes to make an announcement in Swedish, we help out in translating it to English.
Messages aimed at all staff at the department should, if possible, be written in both Swedish and English.
All matters concerning our premises in Ulls hus (except for computers) are being taken care of by the common service function: Service Ull.
Office supplies (a smaller storage) can be found in the mail and copy rooms on level 3 and 4.
All matters concerning IT and computers are taken care of by our Technical Coordinator David Halim, +46 18 67 19 00, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work Environment/Equal Opportunities
The department has a working group that coordinates the work environment development. It is called SAM-group - Health & Safety. It consists of the head of the division, the safety representatives, the labour union representatives and the equal opportunities representative.
The head of the department (ultimately responsible for the work environment at the department) convenes the meetings - appr. 4 times a year. The minutes are available at Arbetsplatsen - the department's common workspace in Share Point . Read more about who the representatives are.
At the SLU Staff website you will find all you need to know concerning you employment; working hours, terms of employment, salaries, illness & healthcare, insurances, secondary employment, etc.: internt.slu.se/en/my-employment/
Employee of a government agency
As a government agency the university has a number of legislation and directives it must adhere to. That means guidelines an regulation that you as an employee must follow.
Here are a few of these, that you you are most likely to come across:
- Entertainment and gifts
- Swedish Public Procurement Act (LOU)
- Framework agreements
- Secondary employment
- Access and education in the purchase system Proceedo (In Swedish)
Evaluation of completed orientation
Your feedback is of utmost importance to us, so we therefore ask you to fill in this evaluation form after completion of the orientation.
You are of course welcome at anytime with your questions and suggestions.
Anni Hoffrén, Communications Officer, email@example.com, +4618672581.