Currently, I am holding a permanent position as Professor at the Faculty of Landscape Planning, Horticulture and Crop Production Sciences, SLU in Alnarp. As professor, I am heading a division, “Plant Product Quality” of 35 persons, including me, one additional professor, four technicians, three senior researchers, one assistant professor, and twelve PhD-students. Further, at SLU, I am also coordinating “TC4F”, the strategic research environment grant from the government; Forests and other plants. TC4F is a collaborative research initiative including around 150 scientists over three faculties at SLU. My professional training is in biology at undergraduate level and in plant breeding at graduate level, with a PhD-degree in 1995. Thereafter, I continued as post-doc and assistant professor within the research area of combining agronomy, environment and plant breeding to obtain quality in food plants. As associate professor the focus turned more and more also into the area of biomass uses for industrial applications. A specific interest has been the opportunities to use plant proteins for various applications and their behaviour during processing. The main focus of my group today is to combine agronomy, environment and plant material in a way to obtain the most suitable crop based biomass for production of food, feed, material, chemicals and biogas. Furthermore, the Bioeconomy aspects of crop based biomass uses including economy and environmental calculations of crop based biomass uses as well as socioeconomic values has become an increasingly important aspect in our work. In order to evaluate biomass for various aspects, we collaborate with technical universities and with the Maxlab facility in Lund. A strength of the group is also a long tradition of international collaboration and co-education of students at different levels.
Responsible for, organiser of and teacher at the 3p PhD course: How to write and publish a scientific paper, at the Department of Crop Science and LTJ-faculty 1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2010.
Responsible for, organiser of and teacher at the 5p PhD-course: The use of molecular genetical methods within crop science, at the Department of Crop Science, 2002.
Responsible for, organiser of and teacher at the 1p (1.5 HEC) PhD-course: Introductory course for PhD-students, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008.
Responsible for, organiser of and teacher at the 5p PhD-course: Product quality and marketing aspects, 2004.
Responsible for, organiser of and teacher at the 2p (3 HEC) PhD-course: Popular scientific writing, at the faculty of Landscape Planning, Horticulture and Agricultural Science, 2001, 2007, 2009
At present I am supervising 13 PhD/Lic students, 9 as main supervisor and 4 as assistant supervisor, at least two of the PhD-students are supposed to defend thesis in 2017. Additionally two PhD-students are within the acceptance procedure.
The below mentioned students have defended their thesis under my supervision;
Phil Dr Mahbubjon Rahmatov, 2016, Genetic characterisation of novel resistance alleles to stem rust and stripe rust in wheat-alien introgression lines.
Phil Dr William Newson, 2015, Bio-based materials from crambe and carinata industrial oilseed meals
Phil Dr, Faiza Rasheed, 2015, Tailoring the structure-function relationship in wheat gluten
Phil Dr, Michael Vagiri, 2014, Phenolic compounds and ascorbic acid in black currant (Ribes nigrum L.). Variation due to genotype, ontogenetic stage, harvest date and location.
Phil Lic, Elsa Grip, 2013, På spaning efter styrmedel: Kommunal fysisk planering och hållbarhetsmålet
Phil Dr, Ali Malik, 2012, Governing grain protein concentration and composition in wheat and barley: use of genetic and environmental factors
Phil Dr, Nur Ahmed, 2012, Pesticide use in periurban areas. Farmers’ and neighbours’ perceptions and attitudes, and agricultural field influences on pests in nearby garden plants
Phil Dr, Abrar Hussain, 2012, Quality of organically produced wheat from diverse origin.
Phil Dr, Faris Hailu, 2011, Genetic diversity and grain protein composition of tetraploid wheat (Triticum durum Desf) germplasm from Ethiopia.
Phil Dr , Gunãrs Lãcis, 2010, Characterisation of the Latvian Swedish Sweet and Sour Cherry Genetic Resources.
Phil Dr, Staffan Andersson, 2009, Carotenoids, Tocochromanols and Chlorophylls in Sea Buchthorn Berries (Hippophae rhamnoides) and Rose Hips (Rosa sp.): Variation during Riepning and among Cultivars/Species and Years.
Phil Lic, Christer Wretfors, 2008, Hemp fibre and reinforcements of wheat gluten plastics
Phil Dr, Ibrahim Tahir, 2006, Control of Pre- and Postharvest Factors to Improve Apple Quality and Storability.
Agron Dr, Hans Larsson, 2005, Aphids and thrips: The dynamics and bio-economics of cereal pests.
Agron Dr, Allan Andersson, 2005, Nitrogen redistribution in spring wheat: root contribution, spike translocation and protein quality.
Phil Dr, Ramune Kuktaite, 2004, Protein quality in wheat: changes in protein polymer composition during grain development and dough processing.
Agron Dr Lars Kjellenberg, 2016, Polyacetylenes – in organic and biodynamic carrots.
Phil Dr Carolin Menzel, 2014, Starch structures and their usefulness in the production of packaging materials.
Phil Dr, Anna A Adevi, 2012, Supportive nature- and stress: wellbeing in connection to our inner and outer landscape.
Techn Dr, Thomas Blomfeldt, 2012, Freeze-dried wheat gluten-based foams
Techn Lic, Thomas Blomfeldt, 2010, Gluten protein-based microcellular foams and composites: Development and functional properties.
Agron Dr, Lars Wiik, 2009, Control of fungal diseases in winter wheat: evaluation of long-term field research in southern Sweden.
Phil Lic, Hans Arne Jönsson, 1998, Selection for seedling traits in Timothy (Phleum pratense).
Phil Lic, Göran Engqvist, 1997, Common root rot caused by Aphanomyces euteiches on peas.
Publikationer i urval
1. Gällstedt M, Pettersson H, Johansson T, Newson WR, Johansson E, Hedenqvist MS (2016) Film extrusion of Crambe abyssinica/wheat gluten blends. JoVE (in press)
2. Husenov B, Asaad S, Muminjanov H, Garkava-Gustavsson L, Yorgancillar A, Johansson E (2016) Evaluation and managing wheat seed-borne diseases: options and suggestions from the case of Tajikistan. Cereal Res Commun (accepted)
3. Hailu F, Labuschagne M, Van Biljon A, Persson Hovmalm H, Johansson E (2016) Quality assessment with HPLC in released varieties of tetraplod (Triticum durum Desf.) wheat from Ethiopia and Spain. Cereal Res Commun 44:617-627.
4. Kjellenberg L, Johansson E, Gustavsson K-E, Granstedt A, Olsson ME (2016) Correlations between polyacetylene concentrations in carrot (Daucus carota L.) and various soil parameters. Foods 5:60.
5. Vagiri M, Rumpunen K, Johansson E (2016) Quality traits in black currant (Ribes nigrum L.) as affected by genotype and location. Acta Hort 1117:207-211.
6. Rahmatov M, Rouse MN, Nirmala, J, Danilova T, Friebe B, Steffenson BJ, Johansson E (2016) A new 2DS.2RL Robertsonian translocation transfers Sr59 resistance to stem rust into wheat. Theor Appl Genet 129:1383-1392.
7. Kuktaite R, Newson WR, Rasheed F, Plivelic MS, Hedenqvist MS, Gällstedt M, Johansson E (2016) Monitoring nano-structure dynamics and polymerization in glycerol plasticized wheat gliadin and glutenin films: relation to mechanical properties. ACS Sust Chem Eng 4:2998-3007.
8. Rahmatov M, Rouse MN, Steffenson B, Andersson S, Wanyera R, Pretorius ZA, Houben A, Nazari K, Bhavani S, Johansson E (2016) Sources of stem rust resistance in wheat-alien introgression lines. Plant Disease 100:1101-1109.
9. Rasheed F, Kuktaite R, Hedenqvist MS, Gällstedt M, Plivelic T, Johansson E (2016) The use of the plant as a “green factory” to produce high strength gluten-based plastics. Green Chem. 18:2782-2792.
10. Kjellenberg L, Johansson E, Gustavsson K-G, Granstedt A, Olsson ME (2016) Influence of organic manures on carrot, (Daucus carota L.) crops, grown in a long term field experiment in Sweden. Renew Agric Food Syst 31:258-268.
11. Wu Q, Yu S, Kollert M, Mtimet M, Roth SV, Gedde UW, Johansson E, Olsson RT, Hedenqvist MS (2016) Highly absorbing antimicrobial biofoams based on wheat-gluten and its biohybrids. ACS Sust Chem Engineer 4:2395-2404.
12. Tilahun D, Shiferaw E, Johansson E, Hailu F (2016) Genetic variability of Ethiopian bread wheat genotypes (Triticum aestivum L.) using agro-morphological traits and their gliadin content. Afr J Agric Res 11:330-339.
13. Rasel H, Johansson T, Gällstedt M, Newson W, Johansson E, Hedenqvist M (2016) Development of bioplastics based on agricultural side-stream products: Film extrusion of Crambe abyssinica/wheat gluten blends for packaging purposes. J Appl Pol Sci 133. 42442:1-13.