My PhD research is about the side-stream products from faba bean protein isolation. I work in Maud Langton's group that has the research focus on the structure and properties of food.
Faba beans are a cool climate crop that can be cultivated in Sweden, the idea is that the faba beans can replace soy in vegetarian/vegan food products. Faba beans are already part of the Swedish protein shift and to further reduce their climatic impact, the utility of the whole bean is important.
The ultimate goal of the project is to use the side-stream fractions in the development of new (plant-based) food products.
When I'm not researching I'm involved in education at the university as course leader in the course "Basic course Food Science" and also lecture in "Food Technology" .
I really enjoy teaching and having contact with the students. In my teaching, I try to apply different pedagogic techniques to create a varied teaching environment that challenges the students in different creative ways.
The course, where I have been course leader has for the past two years obtained 4.8 out of 5 as overall satisfaction for the course.
- 2019 & 2020 Basic course - Food agronomist (15hp)
- 2021 Basic course Food Science (7.5 hp)
Lecturing and lab-assistant
- 2019-2021 Food Technolgy, lecture in and lab-activity in Baking Science.
With an international background and a passion for food, wine and science, I want to combine my interest working in international collaborations for developing sustainable food models and systems.
I have a BSc (First Class Honors) in Nutrition and Food Science from the University of Nottingham, England. Academic year 2012-2013 I was an Erasmus student at ISARA-Lyon, France, where I did full-time studies in "Agroalimentaire" in French. I obtained my MSc in "Food innovation and health" from the University of Copenhagen, Denmark. 2018 I completed the sommelier education at Vinkällan, Stockholm, Sweden.
International internship students
- 2019 Alicia Vernay from AGROSup Dijon, France (main supervisor)
- 2019 Büşranur Harmanci from Gaziosmanpasa University, Tokat, Turkey (main supervisor)
- 2021 Fanny Knab from AGROSup Dijon, France (main supervisor together with Mathias Johansson)
Publikationer i urval
- Sandra Rojas Lema, Klara Nilsson, Jon Trifol, Maud Langton, Jaume Gomez-Caturla, Rafael Balarta, Daniel Garcia-Garcia, Rosana Moriana –(2021). "Faba bean protein films reinforced with cellulose nanocrystals as edible food packaging material." Food Hydrocolloids 121. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0268005X21004355)